Featured post

PAM ROYDS 1924 - 2016

Pam Royds on Grasmere , 1971 with Sally Christie, children’s author and daughter of Philippa Pearce. I was just twenty two when I fir...

About Me

My photo
United Kingdom
My blog is about writing and illustrating children's books which I have been doing since 1974. www.gillianmcclure.com has all my books. I also have another blog: www.paulcoltman.blogspot.com where I publish my father's poems.

Sunday 31 March 2013

THE CREATIVE ENTREPRENEUR


 Last week I gave a talk to Creative Writing students at Westminster University who wanted to hear about an author/illustrator running a small publishing company. Was it possible to be both creative and entrepreneurial? There was a lively discussion and it was obvious that many of the students, some of them already published writers and journalists, were seeing the advantages of being ‘creative entrepreneurs’ in a fast changing publishing world.
    My feeling is, you lean more on one side or the other; you are either creative or entrepreneurial. The only way I can easily be both is to split my day; mornings I’m creative, afternoons I’m an entrepreneur. But it takes a lot of will power, at lunch time, to tear myself away from my creative work. In my battle between being author/illustrator and publisher, the author/illustrator in me always wins and I find myself, late afternoon, slipping back with relief to the comfort of the drawing board. This is the reason I have decided not to expand Plaister Press and publish other people’s books. I couldn’t bear to lose those creative mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment