Featured post

PAM ROYDS 1924 - 2016

Pam Royds on Grasmere , 1971 with Sally Christie, children’s author and daughter of Philippa Pearce. I was just twenty two when I fir...

About Me

My photo
United Kingdom
My blog is about writing and illustrating children's books which I have been doing since 1974. www.gillianmcclure.com has all my books. I also have another blog: www.paulcoltman.blogspot.com where I publish my father's poems.

Friday 2 April 2010

HANGING AT NEWBY HALL

After an early start and a three hour drive north with the car full of pictures in bubble wrap I arrived at Newby Hall last Tuesday to hang my exhibition.

The events manager, Lara Strangeway helped me -

- just as well, or the exhibition might never have been up in time for the pre-season drinks party in the evening.

At lunch time, there was a moment to slip into the gardens and sketch.

Gardeners were busy everywhere; cutting back and tidying the borders, unwrapping statues - before the new season started. 


Inside, food was being prepared, drink poured and the waiters lined up ready to serve. In the past it would have been the same - a huge amount of activity opening up the house and welcoming back the family after a winter's absence. Today it was not the family being welcomed back but the general public - in particular the season ticket holders.


They all turned up on a dark rainy night to enjoy the party in the Grantham Room.
Here I'm with fellow children's writer, Daphne Peters, whom I ran across before the room filled up and the signing and selling started.

No comments:

Post a Comment